Features of time and attendance systems
Time and attendance systems are an essential business tool for any size company or organisation looking to improve efficiency and productivity as well as discipline in the work place. Time and attendance systems can help you manage the time keeping of your workforce effectively as self-report or manual time sheets can be unreliable and time consuming. This means businesses can ensure all salaries match the hours each employee works and avoid any administrative issues.
There is no doubt time and attendance systems can:
- Save you time and money
- Help you monitor punctuality and absenteeism
- Reduce costly errors that can happen when using manual tracking systems
- Simplify the process of payroll
However, modern time and attendance systems do far more than just tracking starting and finishing times. So, when selecting a time and attendance solution for your company there are factors that you need to consider first which we have learned over the 28 years we have been involved in this industry.
- Does your company operates from multiple sites? If so, a centralized system might be the solution.
- Do you employ a mobile workforce as in the case of field engineers and home carers?
- Or are you a contractor with employees working from client’s sites with no access to network infrastructure as this can affect how clocking data is collated? A possible solution is for remote workers to clock in via a mobile app or a GPRS portable clocking device.
- Do you employ part-time workers?
- The type of working patterns? Are they fixed, open or do you have a requirement to schedule your staff based on your work capacity?
- Do you operate flexitime or a flexible working scheme?
- Do you operate multiple shift patterns including night shift?
- Do you require to monitor lateness as well as planned and unplanned absences? Modern time and attendance systems utilize the Bradford factor equation to create an attendance profile for every employee and identifies persistent short-term absence to give you complete visibility into trends.
- How to engage with your employees? An employee self-service mobile app can be a useful tool for requesting holidays or any form of absence and allows employees to view their hours and flexi balance as well as check their holiday entitlement including number of holiday taken and days remaining.
- Do you need on-site information in the event of emergency? A solid and reliable fire roll call management system is a vital and legal health and safety requirement.
- Do you want integration with your payroll package? Automated links to payroll provides a reliable and accurate information transfer which enables businesses to run smooth payroll runs.
- Are you planning now or in the future to introduce an access control system to secure your premises? An integrated solution combining time and attendance systems and access control sharing the same data base and technology is the efficient way.
- Choosing the most suitable method of capturing employee’s clocking data accurately is a priority. Methods take many forms from RFID to biometrics or clocking using a mobile app or a portal.
Once data is captured, you may need consider how it is best transferred to your server. Data can be transferred through your local or wide area network, GPRS or WIFI.